Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mistakes I have made
Staff
Mistakes I have made

I bought one of these second hand:

https://preview.redd.it/2s8qrhbkwp091.png?width=539&format=png&auto=webp&s=8d625d346b58147f4316843d22034a3446f0d1d6

When it arrived it worked very nicely. At some point, working in a hurry, I'm pretty sure I patched an output to an output, and now the 1/8/16/32/96 outputs don't work anymore, although the unit still powers on and connects to a computer and sends start/stop messages. Does this sound likely? I feel pretty foolish and frustrated about it, but live and learn I guess.

The other mistake I made was with this one:

https://preview.redd.it/1uotwcl6xp091.png?width=117&format=png&auto=webp&s=58363b038bc67adb85de17cc734ffd4dc545d576

It worked fine for a month or two, then one day the signal dropped so low the output was barely perceptible. I tried everything I could think of which isn't much, on/off, restart the Arturia 6u etc, take it out and reseat it and put it back again. Nothing worked.

Then, in a fit of stupidity, I took it out and thought "maybe this one has the red stripe going the other way". I flipped it over, powered the 6u rack on and the whole system went into this low pulsing heartbeat type state. I took the unit out and could smell it was cooked.

What is the point of this post? Basically, I can trust myself to never plug a modules power stripe in reverse ever again because for that one at least, I have learned my lesson, but if I'm honest, I work really quickly and the chance of me plugging an output to an output at some point in the future is almost 100%. How can I protect myself against this? Are there any units that are protected against this kind of thing? I would pay more to protect myself from my own mistakes, if it was possible.

Thank for reading!

submitted by /u/Hapticthenonperson
[link] [comments]