Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice for buying a Deluge in 2022, to help with writer's block and screen fatigue.
Staff
Advice for buying a Deluge in 2022, to help with writer's block and screen fatigue.

Hello everyone,

I've been searching throughout the internet for some decision making help, and figured I would ask the question here.

Like many people, I have been WFH since the pandemic started and I spend most of my waking hours in front of my computer. My job desk is in the same room as my music production desk, and as a result, those same waking hours will be spent in the same room (there really isn't an option to change this other than moving to another apartment all together lol).

Over the course of the past couple of years or so, I have run into the problem where I have had issues with working on music out of so much time spent in front of a computer screen. I'll open up Ableton on my personal machine, and just stare at the grey canvas, and start just making noises or whatever, but I haven't been very excited about the process of music making on my computer; which to me is kinda concerning. I feel like my brain is just "laptop-ed" out, and my production has been pretty aimless. (Which is not to say that I haven't made any tracks... but man, it's been quite a slog to get them going, and that's not very fun...). Making the transition from working on work email to working on music has been pretty difficult.

So I've been looking (again) into the world of grooveboxes. I bought a Roland MC-101 in early 2020, and while it's a pretty powerful little box, with a lot of interfacing flexibility, and great sounding engine, I ended up disliking the workflow, and the 4-track limit (I get that there are work around to bounce and "manufacture" more tracks... but I'm not really a fan of workarounds like that)... even after the current 1.72 firmware... it's just not gelling with me.

I caught wind of the Polyend Play coming out in July, and I've been eating up all the literature and videos I can find up to this point. I really like Benn Jordan's video on it, but there are some things about it that I'm not really stoked about: like, it's not portable without a power supply... when imo it kinda has all the potential to be that; but Polyend decided against it for some reason.

Enter the Deluge, and I've been doing research on it ad nauseam, lol. It seems like it ticks most of the boxes of what I'm looking for in a standalone music-making machine. Even with the controversial screen... like, I feel like I could get used to its minimal display provided that it's a small extension of the holistic user interface and workflow (maybe? I don't know, my guess). I also understand some people's issue with the synth sound engine; though it sounds good to me based on the many YT demos I've seen.But the price tag is no field trip either lol... like, I'll pony up the cash, but I was hoping to get a little to-date insight on others' current experience with this box more or less for the reasons expressed above. Additionally, it's been out for a good while now, but it looks like it's a boutique device that Synthstrom is committed to support without any visible intent on developing a V2 machine...(right?) If that's the case, I'm actually OK with that philosophy.

I should clarify, though: I have no intentions of going DAW-less... not yet at least. I really enjoy working in Ableton: sound designing, messing with FX, editing sounds, mixing, etc, etc. I do have a few synths that I use constantly in my productions, and the idea is really to have a device that will complement this setup, with the benefit of helping me lubricate my creativity away from my computer, and just feel excited about jumping into making music again.

Anyway, this post has gone on longer than intended, but I really appreciate the insight in advance and hope that my use case makes sense.

Cheers!

submitted by /u/p_equis
[link] [comments]