Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A noob and his Summit
Staff
A noob and his Summit

Hi all

I recently purchased a Novation Summit after really enjoying the sounds that are created using it. I've never had a synth before. Currently play piano.

In some respects i wonder if i have to answer this for myself, but would it be considered a waste of a machine / money if i were to never design patches on there, only to download and play what other people have created? I guess i am asking this in terms of equivelent cheaper software synths or something being available in DAWs, but i've never had exposure to them if they do exist. Could the Summit also be used a bit like a Nord Stage 5, where sound design isnt a huge element, but it is a bit of a patch machine? Dont have a lot of knowledge of the Nord, so maybe i'm trying to justify :p

The whole thing appears quite confusing to me, and apart from a few simple concepts, i dont really understand what i'm doing. The most i've been able to do is select a factory patch and mess around with some of the knobs to tweak the sound a bit. But in terms of creating something from scratch, theres no way that i could at the moment.

Most of the tutorials / videos that i have seen either have a bit of a zoomed out view of what the person is doing, or it's as if a lot of stuff is assumed. Possibly due to the fact that some people dont spend that amount on a synth without having a good amount of experience beforehand.

I realise that (for me anyway) it's a huge amount of money. While i could have got something a lot cheaper, nothing appealed to me in terms of sound.

submitted by /u/stevem121
[link] [comments]