Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recommendations for 90's - 00's PCM sound synths?
Staff
Recommendations for 90's - 00's PCM sound synths?

When the Roland JD-08 came out I instantly fell in love with its sound and everything I heard from it - no matter how cheesy - made me want it more. I've had it on my wish-list for a while now, although the limitations of the Boutique form factor held me back from buying sooner. After researching more I realised that it's the old-school 90s-00's PCM sound that really does it for me - especially the airy, swirling pads that are possible, and the nostalgia for sounds that were everywhere at the time. I also discovered the Roland JD-5080, which I absolutely love. From what I can tell so far, it seems that a lot of that characteristic sound was a result of limitations from memory and the need for companies to make the most of expensive memory.

It's made me wonder what products/options are out there for those types of sounds. What I've been looking at so far: JD-08 - not crazy about the boutique form factor, but looks like a great way to have those layered sounds in a fairly hands-on (fingertip-on?) interface. Korg Wavestate: a great modern synth with its own sound, incredibly deep, very complex, steep learning curve, not quite the nostalgic sound I'm after (at least from what I've heard). Roland JV-5080 plug-in: amazing sounds but tied to Roland Cloud and buggy, poorly designed software. Roland Jupiter XM: a solid synth with lots of flexibility and different synth engines (including the JV-5080 sounds) but expensive as hell.

Maybe I just like that Roland PCM sound, but is there anything else out there worth a look? Can be softsynth, although I'd prefer something that has the nostalgic 90's early 00s sound.

submitted by /u/organicerrored
[link] [comments]
Hello! My name is Sergei. On the virulence of a juniper grove Autumn, the red mare, walks in whispers Dropping leaves from its mane on the ground. And the clang of its hoofs is heard In the film of the river banks Where no settle b end up goes round. But the wanderer, it raises the foliage On the roads and rustles it, Succeeding on foot particle by bit. And it kisses the wounds of the Christ On the mountain ash tree That are vehement scarlet privet.com