Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Volca FM(2) vs Liven XFM
Staff
Volca FM(2) vs Liven XFM

Introduction

What follows is my comparison of the Volca FM2 and the Sonicware Liven XFM . These opinions are based on several years of owning and using the Volca FM (inferences about the mk2 are based on the spec) and 2 months with the Liven XFM.

TL;DR

If you want a small box that can play your DX7 presets with some simple tweaking options (and full patch editability hidden behind menus on device, or using a third party editor) then the Volca FM 2 is a great option. In most other use cases I'd say the Liven XFM is a better option.

Volca FM 1 vs 2 - Volca FM 2 Wins

The Volca FM's 3 voice polyphony was a limitation for me not because I absolutely must play 4+ note chords, but because a 3 note chord would voice steal from the prior 3 note chord; as such I primarily used it for monophonic lines or short stabs. This isn't the case with the mk2 which has 6 note polyphony. Secondly I had to install a third party firmware to add velocity sensitivity over MIDI to the mk1 (I'm very glad someone put in the work to make this!); the mk2 supports this natively. Finally the mk2 adds some upgrades (improved sequencer, patch and sequencer randomization & a reverb): all in all, if you want a Volca FM I'd say the mk2 is the only choice.

Build Quality & Form Factor - Liven XFM Wins unless you need something very small

For anyone familiar with Volcas, the FM will be no surprise. All plastic and fairly solid feeling, but perhaps a little smaller than you imagine. Small, slightly wobbly, knobs but overall very serviceable, if a little densely packed. It hasa touch keyboard/secondary function strip and the usually set of ins and outs (mk2 uses TRS MIDI and provides both in and out), but keeps the single line/headphone output.

The Liven XFM feels similar with slightly more sturdy pots (and a single encoder). It has a button based keyboard and a separate strip of sequencer step buttons which makes a big difference to usability. Din MIDI in and out, sync in and out, line in and out and a separate headphone out. The most surprising aspect is that it's about 3x the size of the Volca which is pleasant from a playability perspective but if you imagined yourself putting it alongside a volca fleet, it might not be a good fit.

Sound Design - Liven XFM Wins unless you want DX7 patches and tweak on device only

In theory, the Volca FM wins, having a full DX7 parameter complement available. In practise it also inherited the DX7's minimalist sound design interface. All in all this made sound design a frustrating experience from me (there wasn't even a way to get an init patch). Since I consider this sound design mechanism impractical without a computer (dexed and other software offer computer based patch design), so let's focus on what you can do well on device.

The Volca FM has a set of 7 sound adjustment knobs. You can change the algorithm, (pitch) LFO rate, LFO depth, Attack for all carriers, Attack for all modulators, Decay for all carriers and Decay for all modulators. From my perspective this is very clever. Changing algorithm is almost like "randomizing the patch" as the operators are reconfigured and their functions all change. The modulator attack and decay tend to change how the timbre evolves, and the carrier controls change the overall envelope, with the LFO controls allow for easy vibrato. When treated as a box of presets, you get a reasonable degree of intuitive tweakability.

The Liven XFM takes a different approach. It offers 4 sound engines, XLab lets you make an intermediate patch between two other patches, XForm than can morph linearly between two patches as it plays, XLFO lets you morph back and forth between two patches with an LFO, LIB lets you select a preset and make some tweaks. All engines provide a (paraphonic) filter with a simple envelope (a big sound design plus), and an LFO that can apply to filter cutoff and pitch. You also have the option to tweak the tone of each sound (adjust FM feedback) and the release length (of all envelopes). The LIB engine adds a control for attack (of all envelopes). In terms of direct and intuitive tweaking, the Volca FM probably comes out ahead, but the Liven's morphing engines bring something quite unique. Note that the morphing remains musical as (optional) locks are applied to the pitch and envelopes. This also means that the morphing isn't smooth but has 'steps' unless you remove the locks (or morph quickly). There are several algorithms that can be used which will step in different places which can be interesting in and of itself. Without writing a lot about this it's hard to do it justice, but for me these morphing capabilities are one of the huge selling points of the sound design: you can make new patches without any understanding of FM synthesis by combining some of the (many, perhaps 400?) presets and animating them yielding very unique, but still musical, timbres. When using XLAB or LIB engines you can also capture the sound you create which leads me to the next feature.

The Liven XFM has a dedicate FM editing mode with a separate panel overlay as all the knobs and sequencer buttons adopt new functions (including an init). The synth has a 4 operator FM engine (unlike the 6 operator Volca), which is more limited, but also more approachable to program on device. I won't go into too much depth here, but you have 12 knobs to adjust the key FM parameters and the 16 sequencer buttons give you access to the other FM parameters such as velocity, envelopes and gain scaling. The parameters can be set with a knob (directly or with latch) or incrementally (or in fine granularity) with an encoder. One final interesting feature is that there is only one "algorithm" in which all operators have feedback and modulate all other operators, while also feeding the mixer. None of these "FM edit" parameters are available in the sequencer, but you get access to the parameters I described in the prior paragraph, which makes a big difference.

Sequencer - Liven XFM Wins

The Volca FM has the typical sequencer, and as a mono timbral synth you only get one track. The Liven XFM is 4 part multi timbral and offers a 4 track sequencer. The Volca has the typical volca sequencer: 16 step (with pattern chaining) with automation recording and active step/step jump features. The Liven XFM offers 64 step sequences with time divisions between 1/1 and 1/32 (including dotted and triplet). It also provides parameter locking of patch, and of many parameters per step (which can be recorded in the Elektron press and tweak style, or in realtime). Notes may also be entered in realtime or step time. There is probably more to say, but I can't think of any way in which I prefer the Volca sequencer.

Other Features - Liven XFM Wins

The Liven XFM is 4 part multi timbral in the sequencer and over MIDI. This allows it to be used as an all in one groovebox (though slightly more polyphony would have been nice: I'd certainly pay $400 for a 16 voice version with a 6 track sequencer). It can also set a patch per sequencer step allowing for things like drums with a single track and using only one voice. It sends the track data out over MIDI meaning it can sequence 4 external sequencers polyphonically, though when you mute a track it only mutes the internal sounds and not the MIDI (which is odd). The reverb on the Volca FM 2 sounds slightly nicer than the one on the Liven, but the Liven includes more effects.

Conclusion

These are very different devices in practise and offer very different value propositions. As an all in one groovebox I think the Liven XFM offers more for the money and feels like something I could perform a live set with. The Volca FM is intended to form part of a larger (possibly Volca/mini synth based) setup. I could imagine performing on a 4 volca rig in which case the FM might be a good fit. As a standalone desktop form factor sound module for playing presets, the 6 operators and DX7 compatibility of the Volca FM probably wins the day. For sound design simplicity the Liven XFM is far superior and the morphing engines allow you to achieve some sounds you are unlikely to hear elsewhere. All in all, I'd say the Volca FM is a good device, with a more specific purpose, while the Liven XFM is a more flexible groove box and a more practical and enjoyable sound design tool.

Feel free to ask any follow up questions you have about either device (or ask in r/sonicware) and I'll try my best to answer. Thanks for your attention and I hope this proves useful to someone.

submitted by /u/chalk_walk
[link] [comments]