Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Regional Arts Fellowship - Field Report 3 [EMS Sweden Residency]
Staff
Regional Arts Fellowship - Field Report 3 [EMS Sweden Residency]

This is the third post on my overseas field trips, part of my Create NSW Regional Arts Fellowship, you can check out the first post on a week spent with Chris Watson here and second post on my Moog Sound Lab UK Residency here.. During the trips I posted up a whole bunch of pictures/tweets live through my twitter account, so you can also have a look back through those tweets too Smile 

On Feb 1 - 12 I was Guest Composer at EMS Elektronmusikstudion in Stockholm, Sweden. I also had my Eurorack modular with Intellijel ShapeshifterCycleboxII + Expander, Tiptop Z-DSP & Numberz, as well as my uMANIAC and MANIAC cellular automata sequencers and a MacBook Pro + MOTU MicroBookII. 

For the creative outcomes I spent my time again working mainly with modulation synthesis such as FMRMPWM, AM, and wavetable synthesis via audio rate sequencing. I was also processing sounds from my Rainwire recordings through some pretty exotic effects modules/units, ranging from spring/plate reverbs, modular systems and high end DSP boxes. Some of these recordings appeared in my Rainwire [Processed] installation at Sound+Environment 2017 at Hull University, part of the UK City of Culture 2017. 

Some of the material recorded during this residency was featured in a special episode of Graham Dunning's Fractal Meat on a Spongy Bone. This show covered a bunch of my Fellowship recordings and activities during my first overseas trip, as well previously released and unreleased material  =>

One crucial thing for everyone visiting EMS is getting used to the studio booking system, which is in Swedish, but once you get the lowdown its pretty easy. When I first logged on to book Studio 4 to get access to the Buchla 200 I find out I'm in there the day after the Diva of the Diode: Suzanne Ciani Smile Its certainly a focusing experience being in a studio where you are booking time in slots.. you get super fast patching everything up from scratch and then unpatching the whole setup when your times up..

I also got the EMS tech's to help me put together a little setup so I could move it around the various studios easily. We pulled some of the gear from this big double rack that was temporarily in limbo => 

So I had some bonus extra gear: 2x Yamaha TX81Z, Evolution EVS-1, Lexicon PCM-80, TC Electronic M5000 and EMS Director Mat Lindström's old Alesis Quadraverb from the Attic.. and a nice little A&H MixWiz to mix with.

It was an amazingly inspirational and creative time at EMS, and lots of fun too! Keep your eye out for more posts + twitter updates on my upcoming Fellowship workshops in NSW and creative outcomes, or sign-up for Noyzelab News and get an email update.

Below you will find sections on Buchla 200, Fylkingen Buchla 200, Serge, Roberta Settels ring mod, EMS attic & workshop, my artist talk + some other bits.. 

To find out more about EMS you can listen/download an in-depth interview with Mats Lindström by Radio Web MACBA here

Studio 4 / Buchla 200 photo diary =>

Studio 4 is home to the big Buchla 200, which contains an array of modules ranging from old to new e.g. 225e, as well as a couple of clone modules 277 & 288v

The mind-numbingly rare Buchla Programmable Spectral Processor Model 296, there are 2 of these in the system =>

Studio 6 / Serge photo diary =>

Studio 6 is home to a seven panel Serge modular, which has a couple of ultra-rare modules: Wilson Analog Delay and the Gentle Electric Pitch & Envelope Follower.