Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My First System. Your thoughts on the chosen modules?
Staff
My First System. Your thoughts on the chosen modules?

Hey, I've been interested in building my own Eurorack system for over a year now. I've done a lot of research and finally want to pull the trigger.
But before I'm gonna spend my money, I thought I ask some people with experience for advice/confirmation.

But first, why do I want a modular system?
1. As a studio tool, I started making my own music a while ago, and I want to use a modular as a creative tool to come up with interesting stuff.
(I want to make psychedelic guitar-driven music, but also with synths and some weird textures. (I'm really into Animal Collective))
2. I also got into Techno recently and I want that my system is able to make techno live.

Why did I choose the following modules? ModularGrid Link: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/2023510

Brian: Pamela's New Workout
It just can do a lot and I'm not a big fan of sequencers they take a lot of space are expensive and kinda complicated. If I later feel the need to have one I rather go with a Beatstep Pro or Keystep Pro. I want to use Pam as a melody generator(Quantizer) and all kinds of CV stuff.

Rhythm Generator: Zularic & Numeric Repetitor
For triggering all kinds of voices and some other stuff like beads freeze input for example.
Numeric mainly for Techno stuff and Zularic for my other Music needs.

Drum Voice(s): Queen of Pentacles
I wanted some TR909 style drums and Julia Bondar uses it so I feel like I can't go wrong with this module should cover all my drum needs.

Synth Voices: MCO, Pluck, Vowel, Ensemble Oscillator
The MCO module is a great allrounder, small not too expensive, and has different waveforms.
Pluck and Vowel are even smaller but are one-trick ponies but I love the sounds I also considered Rings instead of Pluck but I think Pluck will do the job for me, most of the time.
Ensemble is just a really cool voice but I'm kind of intimidated by all the functions.

If you have a question about the other modules and why I choose them, feel free to ask.

Now my questions:

Does this look like a "balanced" system to you? Like do I have enough VCA's, modulation sources, and utility modules in general?

I can "only" spend around 3000€ on modules for now so I thought I get these modules first https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/2024067
Do you think this is a good selection from the rack mentioned above? Would you advise for different ones? Did I didn't consider something?

In general, what are your thoughts on the whole system?

submitted by /u/2Tate
[link] [comments]