Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suggestions for a Couch Synth?
Staff
Suggestions for a Couch Synth?

I posted this on TGP, but i expect maybe there are some different perspectives here, before i make a final decision.

Basically, the sitch is this:

I'm motivated but semi-lazy. I work hard at my desk all day, but when i'm finished, i can't deal with spending more time at that same desk to try to write music, where my main synth (deepmind6, SE-02) and Mac (logic/ableton) are hooked up.

So, i retire to an upstairs tv room, where i have some guitars, a practice amp, and an Akai MPC Live II, and i decompress with tv/sports. It would be great to have a synth (with Keys) to noodle on and write simple sequencer bits.

The MPC has synth plugins, and i have a small keyboard controller i could use with it. But, i don't like having to boot up MPC, and then go to a template, and set up a sound, etc. in that protocol. I'd like a situation more like my guitar+practice amp. When the impulse hits me, i grab the guitar, flick on the amp toggle switch, and i'm 'in.' With a synth, i'd like the same thing:

Grab, turn on, play. I'd like to be able to quickly navigate around PRESETS, modify them with KNOBS for the 'main parameters' and save. All very simply.

I'd like a 16 step sequencer. Preferably with hardware buttons for each step, but i may be open to a simple alternative that doesn't involve much/any menus.

Polyphonic preferred, paraphonic considered. Probably not interested in a mono. I could just take my SE-02 up and use it with the controller. And i'm probably going to get a Behringer 303 clone at some point also.

Please don't recommend a Digitakt. I know people love them. But, i don't want a 'music calculator/computer.' If i had the mindset for menus, i'd just use the MPC.

Type of tones: i'm looking for Depeche Mode, 80s new wave, and early 90s house, i guess. Analog.

TL/DR: i'm down to the IK Uno Synth Pro and the Korg Minlogue XD. I had been considering the Cobalt 5s, but after closer scrutiny of the tones, they sound more on the digital side. But, there was a recent update which might lead to a thicker, more analog sound? Not sure in the limited demos of the update.

I considered the Roland JD-xi but had one briefly years ago and we didn't bond. I don't love the Roland architecture, but that may just be me in the 50s and not spending enough effort to come to grips with it. I do hate Roland manuals, though, and their UI in the non-vintage synths irks me.

So, that's essentially it. 25-37 keys, probably—something lap-friendly. Battery-power not necessary. I'll either use headphones or run a line under my carpet and get some cheap monitors to set under my tv.

submitted by /u/MartyPoo99
[link] [comments]