Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I just realized that I adore my Neutron
Staff
I just realized that I adore my Neutron

Picked up the Behringer Neutron a few months ago after a pretty high-paying gig. Used it a bunch but still am not good at the patch bay. Don't understand what S&H is. Probably not using envelopes intelligently.

My '2019 Recordings' folder is organized a little differently than previous years. Used to make folders for each month. Now, unless the project is something for a job / client, I just name it "Neutron 1" or whatever. I'm on Neutron 19 now.

Just the other day it occurred to me that maybe I should sell it. It was my first synth. I had some fun, but it's still kind of a mystery to me, and it seems like it could be used better by someone else. And I could use the money for a new interface.

So I took some time to revisit some of those projects and hoo boy... Something totally new has welcomed me into a long and unpredictable conversation with it. It's in line with my current creative trajectory but also strikingly novel. The thing is almost intelligent.

My favorite sounds so far that I have totally stumbled upon using nothing but the oscillators, filters, modulation, delay and distortion: bagpipes, cello, piccolo, tuned 808s.

There is a fuckin beautiful character to these circuits. A voice that seems to have a lot to say to me, even with my rudimentary understanding of the machine. It has really lent itself to woodwind / bowed string sounds.

I am now at a place where I can actually dial in a specific sound for a track. Which is just huge for me. So I'm gonna keep it, and see what else it has to say.

submitted by /u/BeanHabit
[link] [comments]