Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hardware sequencer for both modular and hardware
Staff
Hardware sequencer for both modular and hardware

Hi folks! In my rack i have a lovely Steppy, but i’m looking for an external sequencer that can pull together my whole studio. Potentially sending additional voltage to modular (so cv/gate is a must), also sending notes to modules and keyboards. Until now i’ve been sequencing notes out of my computer, but frankly i find that process stifling and less creative. (When i was a kid/young adult hardware sequencers were the only kind there were so i am super familiar with using them. I had a MMT-8 and also used my Ensoniq samplers for sequencing.) Ideally something with 4 lanes (or more) that doesn’t do just 16 steps. No keyboard is necessary, space is tight.

PYRAMID . I’d like to stay away from the high end (Engine, Cirklon), i just don’t have the money. So I started out looking at Squarp Pyramid, and it’s lovely with the midi FX (really nice) but it does look like a lot of shift-combos due to its minimalist layout, and i’m not a fan of shift-combo workflow so i think it’s kind of out.

SQUID . I also looked at the Toraiz Squid, and it looks to have some truly amazing features, but I’ve read it lacks some basic functionality around triggering multiple clips/patterns together. I could probably make the Squid work, as i won’t be playing live with it, only using it for jamming/recording.

SQ-64 . I was totally ignoring the Korg SQ-64 because i wasn’t loving the interface and at launch it had some weird limitations. But doing research now it looks as if Korg has been fixing most of them. Also it is currently insanely affordable! Almost bought one today. Figured i would ask the good folks here first though, in case i’m missing something. I find this thread has knowledgeable people who are less rude than some others. ?

Incidentally i own an MPC Live, i have tried using that as a sequencer for my other gear, but somehow it just doesn’t feel fun that way. If you have tips on making MPC sequencer workflow fun, that’d also be helpful. (Unfortunately the Live 1 has no cv/gate booo.)

EDIT: Thank you so much for your knowledge everyone! I knew this was the correct thread to ask this question. Everybody here knows their bizniz! I will seriously consider an OXI One, longer-term. Decided to grab a used Squid now, simply because i love the unique features and i don’t need/use a pattern chain feature, i grew up with simple 101 sequencer and have always been into that ‘build it all in realtime as you go’ thing. I tend to use transposition and pattern length polyrhythm to give me variation, so the shortcomings of the Squid won’t be a problem. I love the weird stuff the Squid can do with timing (i’m an ex-drummer so i love the ability to warp the pulse a little). And Squid seems the friendliest design i’ve seen, very few button combos for an idiot like me. I understand that for many people the lack of pattern chaining is a major disqualifier for the Squid. But ok here. (If it feels limiting, i’ll sell some stuff and buy the Oxi!) Thanks again y’all!

submitted by /u/Disposable-Use
[link] [comments]