Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strange Power Shorts on Case
Staff
Strange Power Shorts on Case

Got a bit of a weird power issue going on that falls outside of most of the power-on surge issues I've been finding online, so İ thought I'd drop a line here to see if anyone had any ideas. I have been using the MDLR 12u 104hp Performer Series case for a little over a year now with no problems until trying to integrate this most recent module. The problem started when I tried adding Morphagene to the case in the configuration shown here: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/2203448. The case will power on, and every module will work correctly for about 3-6 minutes. After that, the power sputters out. When I remove Morphagene, everything else works correctly without a problem, and when I tested Morphagene by itself in my spare uZeus powered case it also works fine without shutting off.

The 12u case is powered by 2 MDLR Konstant Lab 45W busboards, however, I'm only using 1 half at the moment. It looks like the rated amperage is 2A/+12V, 1.2A/-12V, 1.5A/+5V, and as per the values calculated on modulargrid, the total power draw on my case (~1350 mA) is well below the max amperage rating. My main question is then, is there some nuance with the Konstant Lab busboards and the current arrangement of my modules that may be causing a power issue here? For example, I know some TipTop Audio Mantis cases are powered via a 3A power supply, but that power supply is split into 3 1A zones, so you can locally overload a zone even if your total power draw is less than the total rating. Anyone know if there is a similar situation with these busboards? I tried looking for some form of manual but was having a difficult time finding one.

Since the case turns on and operates for a bit before switching off, İ don't think I'm dealing with a headroom issue, but İ could be wrong. I've also checked to make sure that all red stripes are on the -12V rail, so no issues there. As a final note, I've emailed Arjan at MLDR but I'm sure they're busy over there and with the time difference and all. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

submitted by /u/Leplepolis
[link] [comments]