Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SQ-64 Routing Help
Staff
SQ-64 Routing Help

I'm very new to the world of synths and looking for advice - I primarily come from guitars so I know some basics of audio processing and effects.
My goals is to be able to play coordinated songs (with variations) and I tried to buy gear to match.
Current rig is a Microfreak, a Drumbrute Impact, a Volca Nubass/TD3, and a Korg SQ-64.
For routing, I currently have the DBI clock out -> SQ64 Sync, and the 2 SQ-64 MIDI outs => Microfreak and Bass Synth (whichever one is in use).

I didn't realize the SQ64 was limited to 2 MIDI outs, and drums are only on individual trigger outs. The DBI only has 5-pin MIDI in. This means that rather than the SQ64 being the brain/centerpiece, it's slaved to the DBI clock and the drum patterns/song limitations of the DBI are in play. My questions are

1. Is there a straightforward way to sequence the DBI from the SQ-64 that I'm missing, either by a conversion from the gate/mod/pitch out to MIDI or something else I'm missing entirely?
  2. If there isn't a good way to do this, am I wasting time and energy with the SQ64 and should I be looking at a different sequencer to achieve what I want to do (play coordinated songs). I really like the sound of the DBI and would like to keep it in the system, but I've considered the idea that a different drum machine with individual trigger inputs may be the way to go.
  3. Am I thinking in the wrong way with "coordinated songs" for sequencers? I'm not much of a keyboard player. I got into synths about a month ago after a partial finger amputation got in the way of my guitar playing, and I'd like to learn to be a better KB player as the healing process goes along.

Any help would be very appreciated, I've tried to make informed purchases and learn what I want before buying but this one got past me and the price drop on the SQ64's made me jump right in before confirming the I/O configuration so now I'm trying to work with what I have.

submitted by /u/Triplestackzakattak
[link] [comments]