Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Korg M1 & Roland JV-x080
Staff
Korg M1 & Roland JV-x080

Hello fellow music makers,

I've been realizing a lot of my favourite game soundtracks (e.g. PSO, FF, and many other RPGs) from the 90s seem to have used the KORG M1/Triton series as well as the Roland JVs, and that they're actually quite affordable second hand these days.

Any users of these workstations here that have some recommendations for sound cards or expansions boards?

I really enjoyed that feeling of nostalgia and recognizing the presets, that I've heard in a lot of tunes before but never knew where they came from. The capability to sequence 8 different instruments from my sequencer with just one device sounds like fun and worthwhile workflow to me for drafting some fun compositions. Blending it with some external FX and maybe some subtle analogue blurs.

Also I'm wondering if it's worth to wait and save for a M1EX model, or just get a plain M1 one. The EX Sounds are available on cards that can be used on the M1 as well, right? Just want to be sure I don't buy myself out of possible sounds, if I don't get the EX version.

Has anyone had both the Roland and Korg and can draw any comparison? Which one did you like more? I'm looking more into the M1, because I'm still missing a capable standalone keyboard with sounds that are fine to just practice on too, and it seems like a good solution. Don't wanna to be tied to my computer & software anymore for practicing keys, and my midi keys don't have enough keys anyways. Wink

submitted by /u/chronosioux
[link] [comments]