Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blofeld Grounding/Feedback Issues
Staff
Blofeld Grounding/Feedback Issues

I recently bought a Blofeld. Here is how audio/MIDI are routed to/from it: https://imgur.com/a/lij9V (Blofeld up top)

This setup worked great the first day. Then when I returned the second day and turned everything on, a horrible electrical buzz was constantly coming out from the mixer. To ID the source, I started randomly unplugging audio/power cables for all gear connected to the mixer.

In the end, the Blofeld appears to be the source, since the noise stops if I (1) remove the TRS cables connecting the Blofeld's stereo outs to the mixer's stereo ins, or (2) flip the power switch on the Blofeld. Interestingly, the noise also stops if I plug one of the Blofeld's outs into a mono channel on my mixer. But when it's plugged into a stereo channel, the noise persists, even when only the L or R out is connected.

This is a recording of the electrical sound (beware, LOUD), where I turned the Blofeld on, then off, then on again and start hitting MIDI keys, then off again. It sounds like some kind of feedback or grounding issue to me, but I'm quite out of my element and don't know how to fix that.

This is a screenshot of the way I have the external audio coming into Ableton Live. I'm 99% sure the error is not due to this routing, but just in case I'm including it here.

Any idea why I might be getting this sound, and how to fix it? I've read that it might have something to do not with the audio cables, but with the actual USB b/w the Blofeld and my PC. But unplugging the USB does not stop the sound, so I'm skeptical. Any input appreciated.

submitted by /u/synthphreak
[link] [comments]