Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
80's post punk/dark wave drum machine suggestions
Staff
80's post punk/dark wave drum machine suggestions

I've always used real drummers, and I don't think I could ever possibly replace the live sound of a real drummer, but eff it, I don't want the lack of having a drummer to hold me up on playing live right now, so let's fuck around with some classic drum machine sounds.

I'd prefer some type of standalone unit I could use, I don't want to use Ableton and I don't want to bring a laptop to shows (and risk having my old ass laptop freeze up in the middle of a set). Don't suggest that, please. I want some solid hardware that can stand alone. If it can save presets so I don't have to sit there reprogramming a beat with a crowd staring at me for every song, that's a definite plus - probably a requirement.

Sounds I dig are like Joy Division/New Order (DR-55 with them, I think, though much more gear in New Order, including the Oberheim DX), The Cure (I think they used the DR-55 as well on stuff like Faith/17 Seconds and the Oberheim DX)...uhhhh other stuff. Basically, dark, reverby (I'm sure I'll need to run it into a pedal). I also dig stuff that sounds a little more natural like this Flowers In The Dustbin song (you can really hear it on its own around 5 mins). Uhhh, The Danse Society just because (liars using a drummer in the video, we can hear it's a machine)

I guess I'm looking for things that can do those old sounds that I can add MIDI to (I'm good with soldering, if I need to mod a piece of gear with some kind of MIDI conversion kit), or just new gear with those classic sounds.

Thanks ahead of time.

submitted by /u/Edgelands
[link] [comments]