Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Prologue my Best Bet? (Along side DX7, Minilogue, Sub37)
Staff
Is Prologue my Best Bet? (Along side DX7, Minilogue, Sub37)

So I've been bitten by the bug to get a new synth recently and I really like the idea of a Prologue-16.

I'm in an indy psych-rock/neo-psych type band. Together we have a DX7 (my main stage keys, I dont own it), Sub37 (mine, leads and bass mainly), and Minilogue (not mine, some specific sounds I can't make) +2 keyboards for piano, strings, etc. (Not usually on stage but I use my keyboard between gigs) Our next album has way more synth layers than hands available and I'm looking to step up.

I like my Sub37 but no synth can do everything. I want a polyphonic synth like the minilogue, with full size keys. I like the layout, tone, and knob per function of the Sub37, the Minilogue is very similar and a lot more fun to play out of the box. I want a wider variety of what I can do because the Sub37 feels limited unless you're playing leads, basslines, or arp. Simply put, I can't recreate most of the synth sounds our singer writes with his Minilogue for live shows.

I find the Sub37 factory presets cool but useless (am I wrong?) but love most the minilogues. Being able to create layered synthscapes, chords, play it as if it were a piano, and have sounds similar to the Minilogue are my main goals. This will be important when we perform the new songs live. I want to recreate the new sound as much as possible without getting a copy of something we already have.

TLDR; I want a polyphonic synth for multi note analog goodness that is straight forward and familiar out the box. Needs to save presets for live shows, knob per function or similar ease of use, have full size keys, and fit/use both hands. Is the Prologue my best option? Am I overlooking any other synths in the $1500 or less range? I've looked around but keep coming back. Can you talk me out of it?

Thanks for any input.

submitted by /u/BuddyHusky
[link] [comments]