Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MAX CORBACHO: Source of Present (2017)
Staff
MAX CORBACHO: Source of Present (2017)

“Source of Present is a massive walls of ambient moods ideal for those lovers of astral atmospheres who like disconnecting when the masses of sounds are heavy, rich and compact”
1 The Beginning of Remembering 23:44
2 Soul of the World 7:17
3 Echoing Shade 6:11
4 Transparent Phenomena 4:17
5 Source of Present 18:49
6 On this Journey 13:07

Max Corbacho Music (CD-r/DDL 73:36)
(Deep Ambient Music)
Aficionados of quiet and relaxing EM, at your wallets! Max Corbacho's name was no stranger to me to have seen it on diverse compilations and on Ron Boots' weekly E-news. If my eyes knew, my ears not! And very often I told myself; one day I got to try it. This day arrived when the Spanish synthesist contacted me to offer me his latest opus, his 17th I believe, “Source of Present”. First analysis; a very quiet album! Like a heap of clouds in a sky drained of its energy, the music here moves with this vision that we have of these big cosmic vessels which are trapped in a dense effect of gravity.
An ascent of hummings begins my discovery of “Source of Present”. Long of its 24 minutes, "The Beginning of Remembering" establishes an immense wall in height where try to climb some small translucent strands and thin lines of voices. Here, the details are important in this work for music lovers of cosmic atmospheres. A good set of earphones is as much important as a good 3D glasses for a movie, otherwise we miss the nuances in the slow, because the heavy wall moves, evolution of "The Beginning of Remembering", like these translucent effects which shine here and there. We can also talk about these stars which whistle around the 8th minute or still these hollow breezes which sleep around the 14 minutes. Elements among so many others which are grafted at the immovability of this wall to measure well its decoration and which also give a more interesting tint to this immense sound vessel which continues its ascent towards the path of the highest stars. "Soul of the World" is in the same vein but is clearly more intense with effects of loops and reverberations which give a very sibylline aspect to the slow travel of the music. "Echoing Shade" is more relaxing, more ethereal. It's this kind of music which suits very well a contemplation of the sky the arms behind the head while listening to the breathing of our lover. We even find these resounding effects towards its finale, just to remind us the black and cosmic roots of “Source of Present”. This title and "Transparent Phenomena" bring us to another level because the title-track continues our journey in the country of contemplation with an astral ascent which reminds me, especially at the level of the voices' layers, of the very ethereal universe from Michael Stearns. Wide bands of synth waves are wrapping the blackness just with just what it needs in order to let filter thin incandescent cracks. Moreover, it's these small bright cracks which decorate this nuance between the cosmic and the esotericism of this fiercely ambient work from Max Corbacho. So rich as dense, heavy and slow, the soundscape in "Source of Present" goes adrift between the universes of Steve Roach and of Michel Huygen. We can hear spiritual jingles hang onto the fall of layers while that from time to times we hear sharpened nails scrape on these impregnable walls of sound. Very rooted in its ambient cocoon, the music proposes a good duel between the cosmic darkness and these weak lights coming from distant stars. "On this Journey" ends this last opus of the Spanish sculptor of ambiences with a music so calm and intense as in "Soul of the World", effects of loops and of and reverberations in less. For music lovers of astral atmospheres who like disconnecting when the masses of sounds are heavy, rich and compact.

Sylvain Lupari (November 30th, 2017) ***¾**
You will find this album on the Bandcamp page of Max Corbacho
here

____________________________________________________________________________________
CHRONIQUE en FRANÇAIS
____________________________________________________________________________________
Aficionados de MÉ tranquille et relaxante, à vos portefeuilles! Le nom de Max Corbacho n'était pas étranger à mes yeux pour l'avoir aperçu sur diverses compilations et dans les E-news hebdomadaires de Ron Boots. Si mes yeux connaissaient, mes oreilles non! Et très souvent je me disais; faudrait bien que j'essaies un jour. Ce jour arriva lorsque le synthésiste Espagnol me contactait afin de m'offrir son tout dernier opus, son 17ième je crois, “Source of Present”. Premier constat; un album très tranquille! Comme un amas de nuage dans un ciel drainé de son énergie, la musique ici se déplace avec cette vision que nous avons de ces gros vaisseaux cosmiques qui sont trappés dans un dense effet de gravité.
Une ascension de bourdonnements amorce ma découverte de “Source of Present”. Long de ses 24 minutes, "The Beginning of Remembering" établit une immense muraille en hauteur où tentent de grimper des petits filaments translucides et de minces filets de voix. Ici, les détails sont importants dans cette œuvre pour amateurs de musique d'ambiances cosmiques. Le port d'un casque d’écoute est aussi important qu'une bonne paire de lunettes 3D, sinon on manque les nuances dans la lente, car la lourde muraille se déplace, évolution de "The Beginning of Remembering", comme ces effets translucides qui brillent ici et là. On peut aussi parler de ces étoiles qui sifflent autour de la 8ième minute ou encore ces brises caverneuses qui roupillent autour des 14 minutes. Des éléments parmi tant d'autres qui se greffent à l'immuabilité de cette muraille afin de bien doser sa décoration et qui donnent aussi une teinte plus intéressante à cet immense vaisseau sonique qui continue sa montée vers le chemin des plus hautes étoiles. "Soul of the World" est dans la même veine mais est aussi nettement plus intense avec des effets de boucles et de réverbérations qui donnent un aspect très sibyllin au lent déplacement de la musique. "Echoing Shade" est plus reposant, plus éthéré. C'est le genre de musique qui va très bien à une contemplation du ciel les bras derrière la tête en écoutant le respire de notre amoureuse. On trouve même ces effets réverbérants vers sa finale, histoire de nous rappeler les racines noires et cosmiques de “Source of Present”. Ce titre et "Transparent Phenomena" nous amène à un autre niveau car la pièce-titre continue notre voyage au pays de la contemplativité avec une ascension astrale qui me rappelle, surtout au niveau des nappes de voix, l'univers très éthéré de Michael Stearns. De larges bandes d'ondes synthétisées enveloppent les ambiances de noirceur avec juste ce qu'il faut pour laisser filtrer des minces lézardes incandescentes. D'ailleurs ce sont ces petites fissures lumineuses qui agrémentent cette nuance entre le cosmique et l'ésotérisme de cette œuvre farouchement ambiante de Max Corbacho. Aussi riche que dense, que lourd et lent, le paysage sonique de "Source of Present" dérive entre les univers de Steve Roach et de Michel Huygen. On peut entendre des tintements et des cliquetis spirituels s'accrocher à la chute des nappes alors que quelques fois crissent des ongles aiguisés sur ces imprenables parois de son. Très enracinée dans son cocon ambiant, la musique propose un beau duel entre les ténèbres cosmiques et ces faibles lueurs provenant de lointaines étoiles. "On this Journey" termine ce dernier opus du sculpteur d'ambiances Espagnol avec une musique aussi placide et intense que "Soul of the World", effets de boucles et réverbérations en moins. Pour amateurs de musique d'ambiances astrales qui aiment se déconnecter quand les masses de sons sont lourdes, riches et compactes.
Sylvain Lupari (31/11/2017)