Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sanity Check needed before first Eurorack module purchase (other synth experience).
Staff
Sanity Check needed before first Eurorack module purchase (other synth experience).

Hey Everyone!

I'm going to apologize in advance for the long Please-Help-I-Don't-Know-What-To-Buy post as my first here, but I promise that I've done loads of research here, on MuffWiggler, and on Modular Grid, and kind of just need a sanity check before throwing money out the door.

I'm about to dive into making my first Eurorack module purchase, and am hoping to buy the minimum (VCO/VCF/LFO/VCA/Envelope) to get a small system going for making some noise. That being said, I'd rather spend a little extra upfront to get things that will stay in my rack or have better functionality, versus buying cheap just to have something.

I have a bunch of other equipment that I'll list below, and am simultaneously working on building up an MOTM system that I have boatloads of parts for, but I am currently doing school and work full-time and am anxious to get SOMETHING going to make noise so decided to throw some money at modules.

Here's equipment I already have:

• TONS of guitar amps/effects/mixers etc. (I've played guitar for about 25 years, and been a part-time amp technician/pedal builder for the past 10 years).
  • Analog Rytm MKI
  • DSI Prophet 6
  • Pittsburgh Modular Voltage Research Laboratory (not in my possession yet, but I was on the Kickstarter campaign so it will hopefully be here soon!)
  • Tons of Synthesis Technology MOTM kits that are slowly being built up.
  • TTSH and 1601 Kit on the way from Synthcube.
  • MOST IMPORTANTLY, I already have a powered Doepfer A-100P9 case that has three rows of 84HP (for a total of 252HP).

Here's what I am interested in/would like to do with Eurorack:

• I'm a big fan of John Carpeneter and Tangerine Dream.
  • Love sequencers and Berlin School but am also getting interested in Generative systems the more I look into it.
  • Build something that could stand alone but also complement my eventual MOTM system.
  • Ideally be more melodic than noise based. I'll eventually be adding several sequencers to my system but for now will trigger off other CV sources.
  • Eventually be used for live performance.

Here's what I am thinking about getting but would love some advice/second opinions on whether this is a good setup to begin, or if the same money could be re-distributed to have a more solid first run at a system. I'm not opposed to buying used, or building one or two (but not all) of the modules, and need to keep it under $2000:

• VCO - Make Noise DPO
    • Also considering the MI Plaits and Intellijel Rubicon
  • LFO/Function Generator - Maths
    • Everyone seems to love it and it seems like it adds a lot of functionality for the space/price. May hold off on this one for the initial purchase run though.
  • VCA - Intellijel Quad VCA
    • Seems like a lot of power for the money
  • Envelope - MI Stages
    • Again, seems like a lot of functionality for the price, and I like the demos I've seen of the Mutable Instruments gear.
  • VCF - Doepfer A-105-4 Quad VCF
    • A little redundant since it's a similar filter to what's in my Prophet 6, but why mess with a good thing that you already love?
  • Utility - Make Noise Rose Output Interface + will DIY some mults etc.
    • Mostly just looking for something that for now will allow me to plug headphones into the system, but will eventually be a solid output device to my mixer for live performance.

Thanks for sticking with me if you made it this far! Looking forward to diving in further!

submitted by /u/the_melting_world
[link] [comments]