Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I think my Keystep has lost its mind. Issues syncing to Volca Sample.
Staff
I think my Keystep has lost its mind. Issues syncing to Volca Sample.

Hey all, my setup is stuck using a BeatStep as it's master clock and I've got a lack of MIDI splitters/thru options so my clock settings:

BeatStep -> MIDI -> Volca Sample -> Sync Out -> Keystep -> MIDI -> Blofeld | | CV -> 0-Coast Sync Out -> MicroBrute 

This had all been working fine until today. I came back to try and record a song I'd been noodling with after not touching my gear for a few weeks and suddenly my sequence on the Keystep into the Blofeld sounded all messed up. The notes were clipping weird and/or sounding tied together when they weren't. I spent a while messing with the Gate Length and Swing on the Keystep and got nowhere. If I switch to MIDI Clock or Internal Clock on the KeyStep the sequence sounds like it should. As soon as I go to Sync In it's wonky.

I plugged it into the MIDI Control for the first time since I got it and noticed Sync In was set to 1 Step (Clock). I've since updated the firmware with no fix and have spent and hour trying every different combination. I've set the Volca to output both Once Every Step and Once Every Two Steps and tried setting the KeyStep to both Clock and Korg.

I've got it currently set on 1 Pulse and the Volca set to its default Every 2 Steps and now the sequence is working. HOWEVER now my Microbrute is running in half time. If I set the Volca to Every 1 Step and the KeyStep to 1 Step (Clock) the Microbrute plays in time again but the Keystep sequence sounds messed up again. This had all been working seamlessly for me for months and it seems like out of nowhere it's all screwy.

Also, with the updated firmware hitting STOP on the keystep sequencer acts more like muting the MIDI out rather than resetting the Sequencer like it had before the update? Reading up this is the Arm to Start option and this is how it's supposed to work... I guess I was just used to the broken version before this.

submitted by /u/plytheman
[link] [comments]