Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Workflow (How to incorporate my laptop and hardware instruments?)
Staff
Workflow (How to incorporate my laptop and hardware instruments?)

Hey guys, recently been struggling with some ideas regarding gear, specifically midi controllers, sequencers like the Beatstep and Elektron models, as well as percussion/synthesizers/hardware.

I make very dense, trippy bass music. I'm not one to draw comparisons, but if I were to name some influences (regarding style) I'd say Bleep Bloop, Flying Lotus Eprom, G Jones, Haxan Cloak, noer the boy, Tsuruda, woolymammoth, Digital Ethos, Aphex Twin.... etc etc etc.

I've recently made the transition to Ableton and Hardware synthesizers, utilizing my Arturia Microbrute, Teenage Operators, and Maschine (but is currently being sold) leaving VSTs almost completely in the dust.

I've noticed my workflow incorporates a great deal of transitioning back and forth between experimenting with synthesizers, along with the recording/arranging in Ableton. I LOVE HAVING ALL MY GEAR AT MY FINGERTIPS, rather than scrambling through libraries and sound packs, and I love how well I can record and work through Ableton, switching back and forth instantly.

I was originally a video editor (Final Cut Pro/Adobe Premiere), so I was quite comfortable using a mouse and keyboard again (compared to Maschine's software, although I did come to appreciate the Maschine workflow).

Suggestions on where to move from here?

I have a budget of $600-800, that is a bit of a stretch.

I landed upon the Digitakt at first: drum machine, midi sequencer, sampler, FX... all things I want to pursue, however, I'm unsure whether I truly need this instrument - given the nature of my computer. I don't see myself abandoning my laptop, so unless the middle ground is worth exploring, i guess you could say i'm.... uncertain. Is it worth it if I don't plan to abandon my laptop during studio production?

I considered Ableton Push 2.... however, I'm not quite sold on this either. Great features, I love the Push/Ableton integration, but again. Do I need this, or is my cash better put towards more sound producing hardware, Like the 0-Coast. It kinda looks like a glorified midi controller. The selling point on the push is the ability to build grooves and integration.

I'm also considering the timely announcement from MOOG. The DFAM. Which would assist my pursuit in experimental bass music, allowing me to harness my focus on modular sound design, percussion, along with something a little different. I would not have the extra cash for a sequencer though, maybe a BeatStep Pro, but I would still be more bound to my laptop.

Workflow wise: For beat-making and sound design where do I stand? Looking for a hybrid, studio workflow to incorporate my laptop and hardware instruments. Do I consider the Digitakt, Push, or should I continue with my computer, and invest in hardware to further my evolution of sound..... am i missing something? Enlighten me.

submitted by /u/trap_pope
[link] [comments]