Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seeking advice: Is Bass Station and Circuit from Novation good combo for a beginner?
Staff
Seeking advice: Is Bass Station and Circuit from Novation good combo for a beginner?

Hello!

I recently reminded myself of my acoustic guitar, started playing and it brings me a lot of joy. After trying to learn some more music theory (teacher was using examples on piano) I was thinking why not jump into it by buying some cheap keys to try things out - this made me discover synthesizers, down the rabbit hole we go.

I want to learn how to create some jazz beats or chillhop. Recently I listen a lot to Stargazer and Tigran Hamasyan. Love some old school synth sound of the eighties or rock bands like Radiohead/RHCP.

There is no budget for me other than common sense. I eyeballed Grandmother or Sub37 from Moog, Korg Prologue, tried to understand what a Digitakt do exactly and how it would fit what I want to do musically. All those things are super sweet (at least in hands of proficient youtubers), but I'm sure I need to develop a lot of skills before I'll spend big money on the gear. I want minimal, but capable setup, without any minikeys.

After countless hours spending on YouTube while trying to understand what gear does what, I'm leaning towards BassStation + Circuit as a combo for a start.

What I think this setup will enable me to do is for Circuit to bring some beat and backing track chords and BassStation would allow me to create melody and bass lines, in the future maybe some samples that I can save on Circuit. I will probably never become super good key player, hence idea of making Circuit play complicated jazz chords progressions for me. Is my thinking all right?

I plan to go without a DAW for now (steep learning curve, also I use computer a lot at work and prefer hobby activities to be offline).

What do you think? Any advice? I'd appreciate any comment and will explore all the suggestions thoroughly. Thanks!

submitted by /u/buth3r
[link] [comments]