Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peak lovestory
Staff
Peak lovestory

While visiting Hamburg I found out by chance that there is a huge musical instruments store there with an extensive synth section. So I went to try out what they had in store, including many synths I had read about but never seen or tried. Some of my impressions: The Behringer modules are really ugly and feel flimsy. The OB 6, a true hype synth, did not appeal to me aesthetically either, and somehow I found the layout unintuitive. The DM 12 menu structure also confused me and the sound did not convince me. However, I had a lot of fun with the Nord Lead 4 and A1 and the rev2 was also very pleasant - crunchy, intuitive, punchy... But what really surprised me was the Peak (or rather the Summit), because I had heard some demos before and they had not impressed me a lot. However, as I tried the Summit the interface immediately "clicked" with me and the sound just blew me away. Listening to demos is one thing, but turning the knobs and finding out how the device reacts musically to parameter change is a entirely different experience - specially with a synth that has such a broad palette and so many sweet spots. I had previously discarded the Peak based on the sound design of the presets, limited polyphony and my own disappointment with the Ultranova. Now I realized the Summit/Peak was what I had been looking for in many other synths, in that it both offered flexibility, quality of sound and ease of use, an inspiring interface but also depth. Unfortunately, a Summit is way beyond my financial capabilities and even the peak is too expensive for me. But I managed to get a used Peak with a bit of cosmetic damage for 840 euros and I could not be happier, even though I will have to sell some stuff to balance my budget. So, what's the morale? Try out synths, even those that you discarded previously, challenge your preconceptions and you might be in for a pleasant surprise!

submitted by /u/exm_achina
[link] [comments]