Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
10 years in the Box. Now going for a Dawless hybrid setup.
Staff
10 years in the Box. Now going for a Dawless hybrid setup.

For 10 years I’ve stayed mobile by keeping my work in the box producing for different artists in different studios. I started having a hard time staying creative with just the software so I got maschine mk3. I use maschine more like an instrument than maschine as a daw but it has really changed the way I create for the better. I’m going to take a break producing for others as I’ve recently now got the opportunity to start my own project making house music. So I’m looking to invest and build a dawless hybrid setup.

Current Setup:

ElectroVoice re20 / Neumann U87

Avalon VT-737sp / Apollo Arrow / Logic Pro X

Electric Harmonix V256 / Arturia Keystep

Maschine mk3 / Komplete Kontrol s49

The most important thing for me is the ability to chain patterns to compose evolving songs without relying on a DAW. Take that recording and finalize my arrangement/mix in Logic. Here’s the gear I’m thinking about buying:

UAD Apollo x8

• I’m already invested in the UAD plugins so I would like to stay in the family. I’ll need the outs so I can run things thru my 737/V256/future gear. I only need 1 mic pre for vocals but the 8 inputs are crucial for future synths. Any benefits using synths through the Unison Pres/Plugins? If so I’ll probably end up getting the x8p.

Squarp Pyramid mk2

• I’m thinking this would be the brain of my setup. I’ve researched the digitakt/Octotrack but I don’t like all the menu diving. I was watching many elektron tutorials but I’m still just as confused on the workflow. After watching pyramid tutorials it seems much more catered to the way I work. I’m proficient at playing keys so I’ll play my parts with the synth’s keys or my keystep and create arrangements with the pyramid.

Novation Bass Station II

• I’ve only scratched the surface on sound design so I think this a great starter mono synth to create bass lines.

DeepMind 12

• I’ve tried the Juno in many studios and got the hang of its sound design rather quickly. So deepmind could be a great starting poly synth to accompany the bass station.

Arturia Drumbrute Impact

• I think this could be a great intro into the analog drum machine world. I plan on using the individual outs so I can mix properly in Logic but I love the distortion knob on the master…Anyway I can have the individual outs utilizing the distortion knob?

After I master the above I will get the gear listed below. Budget isn’t an issue but I’d like to limit myself at first so I don’t get too overwhelmed or immediately fall into GAS.

Roland TR8s

• I have a feeling I’ll eventually reach my limit with the Drumbrute and TR8s sounds like it would expand my horizons. I understand that it’s not analog but I just really want the workflow like an analog drum machine. Once again I know a lot of you rave about the Elektron stuff but through my research it seems like I’ll have a hard time learning it.

Moog Sub 37

• I have access to this at a studio and some of the presets have really impressed me. As of right now all the knobs do intimidate me though. Once I feel like I got the hang of the bass station I’ll level up to this.

Sequential OB6

• I have access to this at a studio as well and very impressed with the sounds. Like the sub 37 all the knobs intimidate me so once I get the hang of the Deepmind I’ll level up to this.

Moog Matriarch

• I want to eventually dive into Modular stuff as I’ve seen some people in the studio make awesome sounds/sequences my brain would’ve never thought of on their eurorack. It seems the Grandmother/Matriarch is a great intro into how modulars work.

All in all I would love to read your opinions on my potential setup.

• Apollo x8 or x8p especially dealing with unison pres with synths?
  • drumbrute impact….I understand I’ll have to record parameter changes on the fly but with TR8S I’ll be able to automate decay/pitch thru the box itself or Pyramid?
  • I need a MIDI interface to run all my gear. Any suggestions? This will be my biggest obstacle when I first start as I barely no much about MIDI/MIDI CC/MIDI CV so I still need to research more.
submitted by /u/MahmGetTheCamera
[link] [comments]